Saturday 3 March 2012

When There's Trouble... You Know Whom to Call

Just as a note to start off, I know that's not how the lyrics actually go, but I'm a bit of a grammar snob and couldn't help myself. If I had a super power, it would be the awesome and totally useful power of proper grammar. Evil beware.

In case you haven't guessed, the title refers to a television series that is close to my heart. A little show called "Teen Titans," which aired for five seasons that ran from 2003 to 2006. When Teen Titans came out on Cartoon Network, I was 10 years old. I was the target audience; this stuff was specifically geared towards people like me. And I ate it up.

I wasn't able to watch each episode as it came out, so I didn't get to see the episodes chronologically. Sometimes, re-runs were thrown into the mix, so I would watch those as well. Eventually, episodes of Teen Titans stopped airing on Cartoon Network (or for me, YTV) in favour of other shows geared towards ten year olds. By that time, I rarely watched the station because, hey, I was a teenager now. I had just started high school, and teenagers don't watch Cartoon Network (yet they do, but more on that later.) I watched shows like So You Think You Can Dance, CSI, the one about finding the next Pussycat Doll (of which I am eternally ashamed for watching), and others like that. This was less about me liking the actual shows and more about having something in common with everyone else my age. This first year of high school was symbolic of many changes I went through, along with so many of my peers. It was the year I became a vegetarian; the year I got my first boyfriend; the year I stepped out of my comfort zone and didn't look back. It was probably one of the most influential years of my life.

Around the time I turned seventeen, I started feeling very nostalgic. It started with movies from my youth: Don Bluth movies like the Land Before Time and An American Tail; Disney movies like all of them; movies like the Wizard of Oz, Tom and Huck, and Jurassic Park; home movies of Christmas in the early nineties. I'd watch a movie and get a rush of emotion that was both incredibly happy and yet sad as well. I remember one day I had gone to a Value Village to do some thrifty clothes shopping and was looking at a shelf of VHS movies and found Bambi. We never owned Bambi before, but I had seen it a few times when my sisters and I watched it in our Aunt and Uncle's basement. I felt an overwhelming need to see it again, and it was only a few bucks, so I bought it. I went home, dusted off our old 24-inch TV with a built-in VCR, popped it in and heard the long-forgotten but familiar clicks and whirs of the movie player. Then the movie started, and I was lost in the memories. I recalled my Aunt and Uncle's basement, with their black leather couches, dimmer lights, and cream-coloured carpets. I tasted cinnamon hearts, smelled potpourrie, and felt the sleeping-bag and air mattress that us kids were always made to sleep on. All this, from watching one 70-minute film. It was almost overwhelming. From then on, I was hooked on nostalgia.

Next came the video games. We got our first gaming console, the Nintendo 64, Christmas 2000. Of course, less than a year later, the Nintendo GameCube came out, and soon after N64 games were discontinued, so it was a short-lived part of childhood. There were a few games that I played very often. There was Yoshi Story, Star Wars Pod Racer, Pokémon Stadium, and (if you didn't see this one coming, shame on you) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I had beaten all the levels on Yoshi Story, simply got bored of Star Wars and Pokémon Stadium, and made the mistake of lending Ocarina of Time to my cousin, never to see it again.

Again, jump ahead years later to my late teens, and I had found a copy of Ocarina of Time- a gold cartridge no less! I inserted it into the console, picked up the N64 controller, and switched it on. Of course, the first time I tried to get the game going, it didn't start. But I knew how to fix the problem. After blowing into the cartridge, I was ready to give it another go. This time, I was greeted to the Nintendo logo and the sound of hoof-beats, followed by the all-too familiar title theme. I was once again transported to my old basement; the ugly floral chairs, the fear of what hid beneath the stairs, and the natural coolness that accompanied being in the basement. It was intoxicating; I needed more.

Finally, skip ahead to last week when I decided to watch each episode of Teen Titans in order. I may or may not have cried once or twice by the end of the series. There were some episodes which were so emotionally charged (I'm looking at you, "How Long is Forever?" and "Aftershock pt 1 and 2" and one more that I will mention later) and some that were so hilarious ("Mad Mod", "Episode '257-494'", y'know what, pretty much all of them). By the time I reached the end, that last FRIGGIN' episode broke my heart into at least 14 pieces. The final episode aired before the show was cancelled was a little thing called "Things Change", and it was hard to watch knowing it was the last episode. It's hard to describe this episode without explaining all the other episodes Terra has been in (in total, she's been in six or seven). But basically, Terra has a super power she can't control and is afraid she will hurt those around her if she loses control. She confides this information to Beast Boy, making him promise that he will never tell anyone, a promise he keeps. Terra goes on a mission with the Titans, endangers them, has a run in with Slade- the main antagonist of the series- where he tells her he can help her control her powers. She ultimately proves to be reliable as a team mate, and is offered a permanent spot as a Teen Titan. She initially accepts, but after Robin mentions that she has trouble controlling her power, she assumes Beast Boy has betrayed her and told Robin her secret. She leaves, and accepts the help from Slade and became his apprentice. Later, she re-joins the Titans and a relationship begins to develop between her and Beast Boy. I'd get into Terra's story more, but I think you should just watch season 2. My explanation is doing her character injustice.

Basically, what happens at the end is heart breaking and I cannot rest until I see that there is at least some closure to that storyline. I've heard that there are rumours that, if the new shorts do well, a sixth season might be made! Of course, these are just rumours, but when I heard them, I nearly cried tears of joy. It would be sweet, sweet justice to have this great series end conclusively, with each end tied neatly and each issue resolved.

So I will sit here and hope tirelessly for the unlikely to happen, and for a great show to come out of a 6 year hiatus as it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment